The Edinburgh Chinese Education Centre (ECEC) was founded by a group of professionals who are enthusiastic about spreading Chinese education and the Chinese culture overseas. The ECEC Chinese School was instituted in June of 2017, located in the city of Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland.
The School is committed to providing a high quality, distinctive learning experience in the Chinese language and culture for children from all social groups. In the aspect of Chinese language education, we focus on the development of the students’ ability to understand and use the language, emphasising all-round progress in the four language skills “listening, speaking, reading and writing”. The school utilises flexible and diverse teaching methods, including multimedia teaching and interactive activities to maximise the students’ enthusiasm and interest in learning Chinese. The school encourages students to participate in different levels of YCT Chinese Proficiency Test and the Scottish SQA Simplified Mandarin Exam. Therefore, they will be assessed to show their Chinese proficiency and we will aim personalise their learning experience under the guidance of their teachers. In our school, Chinese learning can be both fun and lead to a great sense of accomplishment. The school creates opportunities for students to actively participate in cultural exchanges and volunteering activities. Our school aims to cultivate our young people and prepare our next generation with both a Chinese and Western view of life and lay a solid foundation for their career development in future.
The ECEC Chinese school has a team of highly qualified teachers. Our teachers are all experts in overseas Chinese teaching. They are experienced in teaching at Chinese schools and local state / private schools. Four of them have been awarded with the title of ‘UK outstanding Chinese language teachers’, two of them are qualified with Scottish teacher credentials, and three teachers are currently working in local mainstream schools.
The School also has a dedicated and enthusiastic management team. Our team members have held various management positions in another Chinese school before. They are good at managing educational organisations. At the same time, they understand the difficulties encountered by children at all stages of Chinese learning due to their journeys with their children. In many ways our school differs from many other Chinese schools. We are confident in our new philosophy of overseas Chinese education.
Since its establishment, the school has actively participated in and organised several activities as below to provide students with a high-standard platform and help children grow.
- In September 2017, the teachers and students of ECEC participated in the charity event of Lord Michael Bates and his wife Xuelin Li Bates to raise funds for the British Red Cross
- In February 2018, the students participated in the Chinese New Year Concert with the Dance “Xiao Hua Dan” in the Usher Hall
- In August 2018, the students participated in the “Belt and Road” Chinese Culture and Art Festival in Edinburgh Fringe festival
- In February 2019, Chinese New Year Concert with the Dance “The Blue Danube” in the Usher Hall
- In February 2019, the Dance “Xiao Hua Dan” was selected for the first Global Chinese School Network Spring Festival Gala hosted by the Chinese Language and Culture Education Foundation
- In October 2019, Director of the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office and Deputy Director of the United Front Work Department of CPC Central Committee, Mr. Yousheng Xu visited the ECEC Chinese school
- In November 2019, the students participated in the 8th SCEN Youth Summit with the Dance “One day in ECEC” performance
- In February 2020, students participate in Chinese New Year Concert in the Usher Hall
- In March 2020, parents, teachers and students of the ECEC Chinese school donated a large lump sum to domestic doctors and nurses of China during the pandemic
From 2017 to present, the poetry recitation competition has been held every year in the school. We participated in the “Teacher Distance Training” and “Real Scene Classroom” sponsored by Chinese Language and culture Education Foundation since 2018.
We hope our philosophy in teaching can inspire the generations to come to be more in invested in Chinese learning! We can’t wait to meet you!
Head Teacher: Weiping Wang